ADVANCE Financial Aid FAQ

Q: How do I apply for financial aid?

A: As soon as you decide that you are going to enter the ADVANCE Program, you need to submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). This process can be accomplished by either applying over the Internet at www.fafsa.ed.gov or by submitting the paper FAFSA to the central processor. This form can be picked up in the Financial Aid Office (FAO) in the Hut & Mary Lou Green Center.

Q: How long does it take to hear back from the FAFSA?

A: The amount of time it takes depends on the method of submitting the FAFSA. Generally, if you submit electronically it can take one to two weeks. If you submitted the paper FAFSA, it could take anywhere from four to six weeks. The FAO doesn't have control over the length of time for a response.

Q: What is the deadline for submitting the FAFSA?

A: As soon as possible after January 1 of the year in which you are applying. It is always a good idea to apply early. By doing so, it allows students to learn what financial aid they are eligible for. Submitting the FAFSA is a yearly process running from July 1 to June 30 of each year. For Missouri residents, an April 1 deadline is set by the state to be considered for the Charles Gallagher Grant. The FAFSA needs to be received by the central processor by this date in order to apply for this grant.

Q: What kinds of scholarships are available for ADVANCE students?

A: The program is discounted 25% for all ADVANCE students. Scholarships are not available.

Q: What is an academic year?

A: An academic year is 40 weeks/24 credit hours. A non-term program is one that does not divide the academic year into semesters, trimesters or quarters. In a non-term program that measures educational program length in credit hours, a full-time undergraduate student is expected to complete the equivalent of 24 semester hours in an academic year.

Q: What kind of financial aid is available to an ADVANCE student?

A: All federal programs are available to ADVANCE students provided they meet eligibility requirements. The programs include: Pell Grant, SEOG (Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant), Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford loans, and the Perkins loan. Also, the Charles Gallagher Grant is available to students who are Missouri residents and meet state requirements. Please note the April 1 deadline listed above.

Q: If I'm not eligible for any grants, will I be able to borrow enough to cover my tuition?

A: Yes. Students who have more than 48 earned hours can borrow up to $7,500 a year. Independent students can borrow an additional $5,000. In most cases students can borrow $12,500 combined. Presently, the ADVANCE Program tuition is $9,980 an academic year; therefore, your tuition should be covered.

Q: What paperwork do I have to turn into the Financial Aid Office?

A: Normally, students need to return the Financial Aid Application, Award Letter, Student Loan Data Sheet and Master Promissory Note. Also, in some cases, students may be selected for verification. If you are selected, other documents may be necessary for you to turn in to our office. A letter will be sent to you indicating what information is needed.

Q: How do I apply for Stafford loans?

A: All first time/transfer HLG students are required to do online Entrance Counseling at http://mapping-your-future.org. Once this process is completed, the FAO will receive an electronic confirmation. The Student Loan Data Sheet (SLDS) must be returned to the FAO and the Master Promissory Note (MPN) must be returned to the lender that the student selected. The FAO will not accept a SLDS until a confirmation is received that the online Entrance Counseling has been completed. Please be advised that before a loan is disbursed, the lender must receive the MPN.

Contact Information


Marc Hurt
ADVANCE Program Director

Darcia Miller
Associate Director of ADVANCE Program