The art department of HLGU is about creativity and community. As we prepare students for a professional career in art, we also provide an environment for group bonding and personal growth. The art department offers traditional studio arts, as well as applied arts in photography, computer art and visual communications. With a Christian world view, the art department offers complete instruction to prepare students with the necessary skills, knowledge and attitude to begin a career in art.
How We Stand Out
- State-of-the-Art Facilities: Located in the Roland Fine Arts Center, the art department has spacious, modern studio facilities, as well as the finest computer art lab in northeast Missouri.
- Quality Instruction: Our faculty bring top-notch instruction in painting, drawing, design and ceramics.
- Experienced Faculty: Our faculty offer real professional experience in their fields as designers, illustrators and exhibiting artists.
Opportunities for Students
- Art-related jobs: Students can apply for work study and non-work study jobs in the Art Department to get hands on experience in a real art studio setting. From time to time students are given freelance jobs from sources outside the campus in areas such as graphic design and drawing..
- Art Club: Art Club offers a way for the students to learn how to generate revenue from their art work through various club sponsored events.
Preparing Students for Future Success
- Variety of Careers: Graduates from the Art Department are prepared for a variety of art-related careers, including graphic design, studio photography, photojournalism, and art education.
- Prepared for Future Study: Alumni have the foundation they need to pursue a Master of Art degree.
- Art (Bachelor of Arts)
- Art (Associate of Arts)
- Secondary Education - Art (K-12) Certification (Bachelor of Science in Education)
Contact InformationAcademics Office