- Upon successful completion of 45 hours of credit, students should submit the following to the HLGU Director of Teacher Education:
- The HLGU Teacher Education Program application form
- A typed autobiographical sketch
- Documented passage of all portions of CBASE under the current time regulation in maximum of three (3) attempts.
- A letter to the Teacher Education Committee requesting an interview and stating personal intention to enter the teaching profession.
- Favorable recommendation from faculty member outside teacher education.
- Favorable recommendation from Freshman or Sophomore Field Experience cooperating teacher.
- Current transcript with verification from the Registrar of the following:
- A CGPA of 2.50 on a 4.0 scale (includes all transfer credit)
- A CGPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale in all "Professional Education Requirements" and "Subject Area Certification Requirements" (some of which may overlap in general education courses)
- Successful completion of the required technology course.
- Background check clearance
- After filing this information, students will be scheduled for a formal interview with the Teacher Education Committee. Upon committee recommendation, students will be denied admission or granted tentative admission and be allowed to continue in the program provided they maintain the following:
- Minimum academic status required for admission
- Campus/community citizenship reflecting moral character and sincere interests in teaching.
- Students may be requested to appear personally before the Teacher Education Committee during the tentative admission period for any reason the committee deems necessary to reevaluate tentative admission status.
NOTE 1: When students complete these admission requirements, they will receive tentative formal admittance to the Teacher Education Program or will be notified of failure to gain admission with suggested corrective measures.
NOTE 2: Students must complete step 1 prior to enrolling in 300-level or 400-level professional courses. See Course Offerings for descriptions.
NOTE 3: Background checks are required for field experiences. This process must be repeated for student teaching and certification in the state of Missouri. Fees are to be paid by students. Applicants who have been convicted of a felony must identify themselves on the HLGU application form and provide the appropriate documents to the Teacher Education Committee. Applicants who fail to disclose a felony conviction will be removed from the Teacher Education Program.
Requirements for Exit/Program Completion
The Teacher Education committee will grant students full admission status and will recommend them for graduation upon:
- The recommendation of student teaching supervisory and cooperating teachers.
- The verification of coursework completion and CGPA requirements.
- The completion of all Hannibal-LaGrange University requirements.
Students will also be recommended for certification upon
- The verification of successful passage of the appropriate Praxis II test.
- The completion of certificate application through the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education online certification process (www.dese.mo.gov)
Contact InformationAcademics Office