Requirements for Admission
- Upon successful completion of 45 hours of credit, students should submit the following to the HLGU Education Dvision:
- The HLGU Teacher Education Program application form including the signed confidentiality statement.
- A typed letter, demonstrating professional writing skills, to the Teacher Education Committee requesting admittance into the Teacher Education Program. This letter should include a brief autobiographical sketch, and an explanation of your desire to become a teacher.
- Documented passage of all portions of Missouri General Education Assessment (MoGEA) in three attempts or less. Students must seek written permission from the Teacher Education Committee prior to registering for a fourth attempt. The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education has established a limit of five attempts.
- Favorable recommendation from faculty member inside Teacher Education (Dispositions Assessment: University Classroom form).
- Favorable recommendation from faculty member outside teacher education (Dispositions Assessment: University Classroom form).
- Favorable recommendation from Freshman or Sophomore Field Experience cooperating teacher (Dispositions Assessment: Early Clinical Placement form).
- Current unofficial transcript AND degree audit with verification from the Registrar of the following: (may be printed off the student portal)
- A CGPA of 2.50 on a 4.0 scale (includes all transfer credit).
- A CGPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale in all "Professional Education Requirements" and "Subject Area Certification Requirements" (some of which may overlap in general education courses). The Teacher Education Program accepts no grades lower than C in any course required for certification.
- Successful completion of EDU 203 (Fundamentals of Teaching) or equivalent technology course.
- Documented completion of the Missouri Educator Profile (MEP).
Students must complete steps 1-10 prior to enrolling in 300-level or 400-level professional education courses.
1) Students may be requested to appear personally before the Teacher Education Committee during the tentative admission period for any reason the committee deems necessary.
2) Background checks are required for field experience and student-teaching experiences and again for certification in the state of Missouri. Students pay all fees incurred. Applicants who have been convicted of a felony must identify themselves on the HLGU application form and provide the appropriate documents to the Teacher Education Committee. Applicants who fail to disclose a felony conviction will be removed from the Teacher Education Program.
Contact InformationAcademics Office