Gerald R. Burkett, Ph.D.
Chair, Department of Biology;
Professor of Biology
"Teaching at HLG is rewarding because of the Christian environment, small class sizes, and the ability to interact with students and to know them personally," said Dr. Gerald Burkett, who has been on faculty at HLG since 1984. "The opportunity to make a difference in the lives of students is very rewarding," he continued. "To see a student finally understand some important concept in biology is the most important gift I can receive."
Before coming to HLG, Burkett worked as a medical entomologist with the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control.
In his free time, Burkett enjoys collecting insects, growing orchids, fishing and reading science fiction books, as well as watching football, track & field and swimming. He and his wife, Mary, are members at Fifth Street Baptist Church in Hannibal, MO, where Gerald serves as a deacon and sings in the choir. They have two grown sons.
- Ph.D. in Entomology, Mississippi State University, 1981
- M.Ag. in Entomology, Clemson University, 1972
- B.S. in Biology, Mars Hill College, 1971
Awards or Achievements
- Governor's Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2004
- Who's Who Among America's Teachers (multiple times)
- Certificate of Achievement, Human Anatomy and Physiology Society, May 1995
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I, II
- Introduction to Insects
- Advanced Topics in Biology
- Special Problems Research
- Missouri Academy of Science
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Entomological Society of America
- American Orchid Society
- Life Sciences Symposium, Iowa State University (Departments of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology), 1989-1992
- Seventh biennial Plant Resistance to Insects Workshop, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS, 1986
- Judged high school and district science fairs in northeast Missouri
- Guest speaker in public schools in northeast Missouri on the topic "Insects"
- Past chairman of Legislative Committee of the South Carolina Entomological Society
- First Secretary-Treasurer of the South Carolina Mosquito Control Associations
- Burkett, G.R., J.C. Schneider, and F.M. Davis, 1983. "Behavior of the Tomato Fruitworm, Heliothis zea (Boddie) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae), on Tomato," Environ. Entomol., 12(3): 905-910.
- Sikorowski, P.P., G.R. Burkett, and A.C. Thompson, 1984. "Effects of Antimicrobials on Development of Heloiothis virescens (F.) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae)," J. Georgia Entolmol. Soc., 19(3): 327-332.
- Ellsbury, M.M., G.R. Burkett, and F.M. Davis, 1989. "Development and Feeding Behavior of Heliothis zea (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) on Leaves and Flowers of Crimson Clover," Environ. Entomol., 18(2): 323-327.
Contact InformationAcademics Office