L. Jane Griffen
Chair, Department of Music;
Assistant Professor of Music
"There are two things that motivate me to work," said Griffen. "Getting to make quality music and working with our bright, energetic students every day."
Mrs. Griffen came to Hannibal-LaGrange University as an adjunct instructor in 1988, and began teaching full-time in 1991.
In addition to directing the Concert Choir, and Jazz Choir; Mrs. Griffen has also been director of the Hannibal Children's Choir for four years. Mrs. Griffen has been vocal director /conductor for the college's productions of Amahl and the Night Visitors, Quilters, An Evening with Andrew Lloyd Webber, Oliver!, The True Story of Cinderella, Forever Plaid, 1940s Radio Hour, The Secret Garden, and most recently, vocal mentor for It's a Wonderful Life and White Christmas. During the summer of 2007, Mrs. Griffen was the guest conductor for the Illinois Baptist State Association Youth Choir (IBSA) which toured to San Antonio Texas.
Additional interests include: teaching private voice to local high school students; performing with the Muddy River Opera Co. in Aaron Copland's The Tenderland and Poulanc's Dialogues of the Carmelites; adjudicating for high school district vocal competitions both in Missouri and Illinois; and guest conducting for All Conference choirs in the state of Missouri. Mrs. Griffen has also been director of the Mark Twain Chorale, Hannibal's community chorus, for ten years.
Mrs. Griffen is married to Richard Griffen. They have two grown children and three grandchildren.
- Choral and Instrumental Literature
- Advanced Choral Conducing
- Music for Elementary Grades
- Choral Techniques
- Concert Choir
- Jazz Choir
- Applied Voice
- Supervisor of Student Teachers
Awards and Achievements
- Governor's Award for Excellence in Teaching, 1997-1998
- Parkway Distinguished Professor Award, 2008
- Messiah by G. F. Handel
- Carmina Burana by Carl Orff
- Requiem by Mozart
- Ceremony of Carols by Britten
- Gloria by Vivaldi
- Gloria by Rutter
- Magnificat by Rutter
- Christmas Oratorio by Bach (selections from parts I, II, & III)
Current Memberships and Community Involvement
- Member of Phi Kappa Lambda
- Vice President of local chapter for National Federation of Music Clubs, Evening Etude
- Director for the Mark Twain Chorale, Hannibal's community chorale
- American Choral Directors Association (ACDA)
- The National Association for Music Education (MENC)
- Missouri Music Educators Association (MMEA)
- Member at Calvary Baptist Church
Contact InformationAcademics Office