B. Jane Schafer, Ph.D.
Chair, Division of Education;
Director, Department of Teacher Education;
Professor of Education
Jane Schafer has taught at Hannibal-LaGrange University for over 25 years after moving to Hannibal from Colorado Springs, Colorado. She was an elementary classroom teacher in Colorado and Hannibal before joining the Education Division at HLGU. She enjoys teaching and building relationships with current and future teachers.
At HLGU, Schafer chairs the Teacher Education Committee and the Graduate Advisory Committees, is an advisor for Student Missouri State Teachers Association, and serves on the Academic Affairs, Academic Chairs, and Library Committees. She also supervises student teachers who are majoring in early childhood or elementary education. Schafer also directs the Teacher Education program and Master of Science in Education (MSE) program at HLGU and at the Poplar Bluff extension. She represents HLGU as a member of Missouri Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (MACTE).
Schafer's hobbies are reading, playing piano, traveling, and spending time with family. She and her husband, John, have two grown daughter who are also teachers, two sons-in-law, and two fantastic grandchildren. The Schafers are members of Fifth Street Baptist Church in Hannibal, but currently teach and play piano at Columbus Christian Church in Columbus, Illinois.
- B.A. in Interdisciplinary Elementary Education, Colorado State University
- M.Ed. in Reading, University of Missouri
- Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction, with an emphasis in Early Childhood Education, University of Missouri. Dissertation: "Two-Way Dialogue Journals Between Student Teachers and Cooperating Teachers as a Mentoring Tool"
Awards and Achievements
- Parkway Distinguished Professor Award, 1999
- Visiting Professor of Education at Harlaxton College, British Campus of University of Evansville, 2006
- Who's Who Among America's Teachers, 2003 and subsequent years
- Prepared and led Teacher Education Program through two Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education evaluation site visits
- Coordinated development of Master of Science in Education degree program and coordinated Higher Learning Commission team evaluation visits
- Served as Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education site trainer
- Language Acquisition and Development
- Organizational and Administration of Early Childhood Programs
- Curriculum, Methods and Materials in Early Childhood
- Utilizing Family and Community Resources
- Infant/Toddler Practicum
- Literature for Children
- Reading Diagnosis and Correction
- Screening, Diagnosis, Prescribing Instruction
- Teach Language Arts in the Elementary School
- Teaching Reading in the Elementary School
- Teaching Science in the Elementary School
- Teaching Social Studies in the Elementary School
- Curriculum Design and Development
- Writing in the Classroom
- Character Education
- Diversity in the Classroom
- Phonemic Awareness and Phonics Concepts
- Practica and student teacher supervisor
Contact InformationAcademics Office