John Schafer, Ph.D.
Professor of Business
"For me, HLG is my extended family," said Dr. John Schafer. "Students from past and present make up my extended HLG family. It gives me great pleasure to hear from students and learn about their careers and families."
After working at HLG for over 20 years, many of Dr. Schafer’s favorite memories revolve around students and the experiences he has shared with them, both in and out of the classroom.
Dr. John Schafer came to Hannibal-LaGrange University in 1987, along with his wife, Jane, who chairs the education department at HLG. Prior to their move to Hannibal, the Schafers taught together in Colorado for almost 15 years. They have two daughters who graduated from HLG and now teach in the local school district.
- Intermediate Accounting I & II
- Business Information Systems
- Principles of Business Management
- Organizational Behavior
- Business Strategy
- Human Resources Management
- CPA Certification, 1997
- Ph.D., University of Missouri, 1991
- M.S., University of Northern Colorado, 1980
- M.Ed., Colorado State, 1976
- B.S., Metro State, 1971
Awards and Achievements
- Governor’s Teaching Award, 1995
- Outstanding NIE Educator, 1995
- Human Resource Management (HRM) Society
- National Business Education Associates
- Delta Pi Epsilon - Graduate Research
Dr. Schafer has been published in the following:
- NABTE Review (National Association for Business Teacher Education)
- Secretary (published by Professional Secretaries International)
- Great Ideas for Teaching Marketing (published by South-Western College Publishing)
- The Southern Baptist Educator
- Business Education Forum (Official Journal of the National Business Education Association)
- Business Education Digest (refereed journal published by the National Association of Teacher Educators)
- Vocational Education Journal (published by the American Vocational Association)
- Simulation and Gaming (An Interdisciplinary Journal of Theory, Practice, and Research—published by Sage Publications
Contact InformationAcademics Office