Applying For HLGU Scholarship Programs
Upon applying for admission to Hannibal-LaGrange University, students are automatically considered for HLGU scholarships. See the Academic/Achievement Scholarships section for descriptions of these awards.
Submitting the FAFSA
Students seeking Federal Financial Aid should complete the free application for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA) after January 1 online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. HLGU's federal school code is 009089 and priority submission date is July 1 for fall admission and November 1 for spring admission for traditional students. For Missouri students, the FAFSA must be submitted by March 31 for state grants.
After your FAFSA has been submitted you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) in the mail or by email within a few weeks from the central processor. You will need to review your information for accuracy. If any changes need to be made you can make these. If you list Hannibal-LaGrange University’s Title IV School code (009089), your FAFSA information will be received by our financial aid office. This information allows us to determine your financial aid. All communication regarding financial aid will be made through the student portal. This information will consist of HLGU scholarships, grants, loans, and other financial aid opportunities.
Selected for Verification
Students will be notified through the student portal that they have been selected for verification on their SAR. This notification will be sent by HLGU’s Financial Aid Office. This verification notice will state what items are needed for verification. Please see list below. It is encouraged to submit all paperwork at the same time. Financial aid awards will not be finalized until the HLGU Financial Aid Office has completed the student’s verification.
If you have questions, please call 573-629-3279.
Financial Aid Office
2800 Palmyra Road
Hannibal, MO 63401
Tax Transcript Options
FAFSA Correction Using the IRS Data Retrieval Process
This process is available to the student and/or parent tax filer within 2 weeks after electronically filing your 2015 federal income tax return (6-8 weeks if the tax return is filed by paper) and paying your IRS tax liability, if applicable. Efiling is the fastest, easiest, and most accurate way to include your final 2015 federal income tax information on the FAFSA application
1. Go to www.fafsa.gov
2. Log into your FAFSA record.
3. Select “Make FAFSA Corrections”.
4. Navigate to the financial information section of the form for the student (all students) and parent (dependent students).
5. Follow the instructions to determine if you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer the 2015 IRS income tax information into your 16-17 FAFSA.
IRS Tax Return Transcript Request Process
2015 Federal income tax filers (students and parents) who elect not to use the IRS Data Retrieval Process or do not qualify to use the IRS Data Retrieval Process must submit an IRS Tax Transcript to the financial aid office. To request a transcript free of charge from the IRS, select one of the following methods. Your 2015 Federal income tax return must be accepted by the IRS and you must pay your 2015 IRS tax liability, if applicable, before you can request a transcript.
1. Go to www.irs.gov
2. In the tools section of the homepage, click on “Get Transcript for My Tax Records”.
3. Click on the “Get Transcript by Mail” box and enter the tax filer’s Social Security Number, date of birth, street address, and zip code. (Be sure to use the address currently on file with the IRS). Click continue. In the type of transcript drop-down box, choose “Return Transcript” and in the tax year drop-down box, select “2015”. If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive paper IRS Tax Transcript(s) in the mail within 5-10 days.
** If you are unable to obtain the required 2015 Federal Tax Return Transcript(s) by using one of the above methods you will need to contact the IRS at 800-829-1040 or visit your local Internal Revenue Service Office to obtain a copy.
Process for Non-Tax Filers
Students and parents who are not required to file a 2015 Federal income tax return must submit copies of their 2015 W-2 forms to confirm income earned from work. If no income was earned, please check the appropriate box on the front of this worksheet.
Contact InformationOffice of Financial Aid
Business HoursMonday - Thursday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
8:00 am - 4:00 pm