HLGU Business Professor Celebrates Retirement

by Rebecca Sneed

Hannibal-LaGrange University’s Assistant Professor of Business, Mr. Jerry Allen, is retiring.

A native Hannibalian, Mr. Allen received his Associate of Arts from Hannibal-LaGrange in 1972, back when it was still a two-year institution. He went on to complete a Bachelor of Science degree at Culver-Stockton in 1974. Subsequently he earned an M.B.A. from the University of Missouri-Columbia.

Prior to coming on faculty full-time, Mr. Allen was involved with the family business, Allen’s Carpet Shop, and taught as an adjunct instructor in the 1970s at what was then Hannibal-LaGrange College.

Also involved in agribusiness, over the years Allen has been a part of the Ralls County Cattleman’s Association, Missouri Cattleman’s Association, and the Mark Twain Grazing Council as well as several other organizations. For many years, he also served as the faculty sponsor of Phi Beta Lambda.

Mr. Allen is said to be a professor who truly enjoys students, desiring to help them reach their full potential as business professionals or in whatever vocation they are pursuing. Some have gone on to successful corporate careers, while others have successfully planted churches using the skills he taught them to pay the bills. A few have even worked alongside him in both his carpet and cattle businesses.

“Of all the teachers I had at HLGU, Mr. Allen was the one I connected with the most,” said Stephen Campbell, a 2016 graduate of HLGU’s Business Program. “He genuinely cared about me, and truly wanted me to succeed in my profession and in life.”

“I have enjoyed getting to know Mr. Allen,” said Dr. Miles Mullin, vice president for academic administration. “In addition to learning from him myself, I have appreciated his humor and his desire to see students do well as they go out from HLGU.”

Mr. Allen taught courses on macroeconomics, microeconomics, money and banking, international trade and finance, retail business management, principles of advertising, production/operations management, sales management, and marketing research.

Share this article on your social media accounts!