4 of 7 McCaughey Septuplets Attending HLGU

by Rebecca Sneed

Four of the McCaughey septuplets moved into the dorms at HLGU to start their freshman year of college. Nathan, Kelsey, Natalie, and Joel are all excited to begin this new period of life, and Hannibal-LaGrange is equally excited to have them here.

Upon their birth, on November 19, 1997, to Kenny and Bobbi McCaughey, HLGU offered scholarships to the septuplets, and because of this, Kenny describes himself as a very grateful dad.

“We’re delighted to have you here,” Dr. Anthony Allen, HLGU President, expressed to the four siblings. “I found out coming here as president that we had offered you a scholarship to come to Hannibal-LaGrange and we were excited to get the news that you all were going to come here.”

The four siblings are looking forward to having more independence, making new friends, and learning more about themselves, but despite this, Nathan, Kelsey, Natalie, and Joel know that they won’t be without a little homesickness too.

“I know that I’m going to miss [my other siblings],” said Natalie, “I’m going to miss them so much. But, even though I’m going to be apart from the other ones, I’m still super thankful that I at least have these three to be with me.”

Siblings Kenneth and Alexis will stay at home to attend Des Moines Area Community College, and Brandon has joined the military.

Kenny knows that it’s a big change for him and Bobbi as well. “At first it’s going to be a culture shock for us after 18 years of the kids in the same house with the noise and activity,” he said. “Now it’s just going to be weird with only two left.”

Joel and Nathan have both declared majors in computer information systems, Natalie will be competing on the cross country team and studying early childhood education, and Kelsey, though undecided on a major, is looking forward to being involved with music on campus and being a part of HLGU’s ministry team Praise Song.

Though HLGU’s generous scholarship offer played a big role in the siblings deciding to come here, so did their faith.

“Our faith is our life, and without our trust in the Lord, I don’t know where we’d be,” said Kenny.

“I take my relationship with Christ very, very seriously, and I really have a desire to grow in my relationship with him and just spending each and every day trying to glorify and honor him in every way that I can,” agreed Natalie. To which Kelsey, Nathan, and Joel responded with “what she said,” “same,” and “ditto.”

The McCaugheys and their fellow classmates begin classes on Tuesday, August 30.

Share this article on your social media accounts!