Administrative Assistant to the President
Classification: Staff / Full Time
Description: The Administrative Assistant is responsible to the President. The position is full-time and does offer benefits, as specified in the handbook. This position is responsible for organizing and performing varied and complex administrative duties; compose effective correspondence; schedule travel, hotels, and conferences; manage all Board of Trustees and committee meeting logistics; and make quarterly reports.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- 1-3 years of office experience preferred.
- Must have expert knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to interact with people on a professional level.
- Work with and handle confidential information properly.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Overall awareness of the activities and administrative framework of the organization.
- Knowledge of current office practices, procedures, equipment, and communication technologies.
- Perform complex administrative work, with the ability to exercise sound independent judgment.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Must have values consistent with the mission and purpose of Hannibal-LaGrange University.
- Must agree to, sign off on, and abide by the standards of employment on the back of the application, on the yearly contract, and in the staff handbook.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Serve as receptionist for the President and the Board; represent the office in a positive and professional manner. Screen visitors, mail, and telephone calls: ascertain the nature of their business, help those that can be taken care of personally, and redirect those which can be handled by others; tactfully make referrals as appropriate.
- Maintain the President's calendar; schedule meetings and appointments.
- Receive and review all incoming correspondence and determine appropriate handling.
- Compose responses to correspondence and other inquiries as appropriate; type from rough drafts, final copies of speeches, etc.; initiate format and check for accuracy of spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc.
- Review outgoing correspondence submitted for the President's signature for proper form, sentence structure, and typographical accuracy.
- Maintain all files and records in the President's office.
- Attend weekly Executive Cabinet Meetings, take minutes, publish in final format, and file.
- Create letters and memos for purposes of record keeping.
- Schedule all travel, hotels, conferences, and other arrangements for the President. Prepare travel itineraries as needed.
- Process all electronic requisitions before acquisition. Coordinate with the President to organize and submit receipts and other documentation to the business office for reconciliation of credit card statements for the President's office.
- Attend to the procurement of supplies, maintenance of services, etc.
- Order flowers for funerals or illness as directed.
- Schedule usage of the Conner Board Room.
- Schedule usage of the Hagerman House and Prince House, correspond with individuals staying in the residences, enter work orders for housekeeping, communicate with Maintenance & Public Safety on arrival and departure of guests, and restock food items as necessary.
- Work closely with the President on the scheduling of Chapel speakers in the Fall and Spring, work with Public Relations to prepare a Chapel listing and to make certain information is posted on the website, post Chapel Services on the President's calendar, and note on Calendar Congress.
- Prepare official letters of invitation and mail to each Chapel speaker finalizing their visit to campus, offer assistance with housing and travel arrangements, provide speakers with Audio/Video/Print Duplication Authorization forms for signature and forward completed forms to the Campus Sound Coordinator, filing originals in the President's office.
- Process travel and expense reimbursement for Chapel speakers and guests as needed, prepare a listing of faculty/staff to attend weekly Chapel Luncheons, mail weekly luncheon invitations to attendees, prepare name cards, ensure number of table settings for the luncheon, and order flowers for table decoration.
- Manage and facilitate all Board of Trustee meetings, Executive Committee Meetings and other meetings involving the President and the Board, committee meeting logistics, prepare informational packets, organize and manage all travel arrangements for Board of Trustee members: including reservations, processing of expense reimbursements, keep official meeting minutes, and maintain all records concerning the Trustees.
- Attend all Board of Trustee meetings, take attendance, and record minutes of board meetings as back-up to the Secretary of the Board; take official minutes in the absence of the Board Secretary. Publish minutes in final form. File minutes in the President's Office for reference.
- Organize and prepare the mailing of the quarterly report to the Missouri Baptist Convention, coordinate with the MBC to set up meetings and events held on campus, serve as the contact person for the Missouri Baptist Convention and the President's office, keep the Convention up-to-date with current Trustee information and necessary information about the University.
- Scheduling of campus facilities for meetings, conferences, banquets, and events related to the President's office, correspond with guests and speakers coming to campus upon the direction of the President.
- Make arrangements and assist with the graduation speaker. Make sure the lineup for all dignitaries on stage is correct, invite Trustees to provide the invocation and benediction, assure President, guest speaker, and Trustees have caps and gowns ordered, pressed, and ready for the commencement ceremony. Arrange for the mace to be carried by the proper individual and placed appropriately on stage and then returned to the President's office. Arrange luncheon for Trustees and honored guests.
- Assist, as needed, with the Booster Banquet special guests.
- Procure and account for all expenses of the department and President, including travel reimbursement and expense accounts of events and programs.
- Plan, organize, and execute conferences and other special events associated with the President's office.
- Other duties as assigned by the President.
- Supervise student workers assisting the President's Office.
Ideal Candidate: The University's mission statement and its affiliation with the Missouri Baptist Convention prescribe that employees must be professing Christians, actively involved in the church of their choice, and have values consistent with Baptist tradition.
Appointment: Application and materials will be received until the position is filled.
How to Apply:
Click here to apply.
For any questions regarding the position, contact Human Resources at 573-629-3058, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hannibal-LaGrange University seeks to employ qualified individuals without regard to age, sex, race, color, national origin, or disability, who can function effectively within the college’s mission and purposes.
You can contact the office of Human Resources by calling 573-629-3058
Contact InformationOffice of Human Resources