Director of Development
Classification: Staff / Full Time
Description: The Director of Development is responsible to the Vice President of Institutional Advancement. The position is full time and does offer benefits as specified in the staff handbook. The Director of Development is responsible for developing and implementing strategies related to campaigns and major giving and developing a related giving program. This position's major focus will be overseeing campaign activities and closing on major gifts in order to reach annual fundraising goals and developing related annual giving program. The Director of Development will help with the identification, cultivation and solicitation of gifts from individuals, private foundations, and companies as well as specific assignments related to campaigns, as need by the vice president of institutional advancement by performing the following duties.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills required.
- Must be willing to travel. Overnight travel required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite and e-communication savvy.
- Responsible for strategic campaign activities, meeting fundraising yearly goals and planning multi-year, multi-faceted approaches to financial resources development
- Plan, implement and manage fundraising campaigns and major gift solicitation
- Assist with events designed to obtain new gifts, and/or increase giving levels and revenue, which includes strengthening existing relationships and cultivating untapped resources
- Develop and maintain a donor base sufficient to meet the funds and resource requirements of campaigns and fundraising activities
- Maintain his/her own list of prospects; manage their assessment, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship in conjunction with the vice president of institutional advancement and the president
- Work with deans and other appropriate administrators to develop strategies for the successful completion of specific fundraising initiatives.
- Develop proposals requesting gifts from individuals, private foundations and corporations
- Develop and monitor donor files in order to coordinate assigned campaigns, fundraising, and stewardship activities
- Develop written and electronic materials to support campaign fundraising activities.
- Participate in public relations endeavors including speaking engagements, media presentations and mail outs (brochures, newsletters, etc.) which support appeals and campaigns.
- Maintain a good professional relationship with the community and organizations that have an interest in or provide support to Hannibal-LaGrange University
- Assist with the management of all programs, projects and activities within the department of Institutional Advancement
- Attend and/or occasionally represent HLGU at community events that may require flexible hours for meeting attendance requirements which may be held early morning or evenings
- Responsible for the development of a work plan and reaching determined goals
- Oversight of campaign budget
- Travel is involved in reaching out to donors
- Assume other responsibilities as directed by the President and/or the Vice President for Institutional Advancement
- Answer directly to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement and perform other duties as required
- Convey a professional and positive image and attitude regarding Hannibal-LaGrange University
- Adhere to the highest ethical standards and best practices in development and fund raising efforts
- Assist in fostering a culture of philanthropy throughout the University
- Bachelor degree required.
- Two years experience in development required.
- Success in development required.
- Must have values consistent with the mission and purpose of Hannibal-LaGrange University.
- Must agree to abide by the standards of employment in the staff handbook.
Duties include but are not limited to:
Appointment: Application and materials will be received until the position is filled.
How to Apply:
An application may be downloaded here.
Please mail completed application, letter of interest, and resume to:
Office of Human Resources
2800 Palmyra Road
Hannibal, MO 63401
(573) 221-3675, ext. 3093
Hannibal-LaGrange University seeks to employ qualified individuals without regard to age, sex, race, color, national origin, or disability, who can function effectively within the college’s mission and purposes.
You can contact the office of Human Resources by calling 573-629-3058
Contact InformationOffice of Human Resources