Students Receive Art Exhibit Awards
Tuesday, November 27, 2012
It was a rewarding night for art students as they were able to see their pieces displayed in the Hagerman Art Gallery at the Roland Fine Arts Center on Friday November 9th.
Many awards were given but Best in Show went the Ian Sikes for his Anatomy of a Swing series which shows a baseball player in four stages of swinging a bat and making contact with the ball. Sikes, an art education major, creatively painted this series on burlap, giving it a very rough and rugged feel, but he was still able to emphasize the details of a proper batting technique. These paintings also won the People’s Choice award.
The President’s Choice award also went to Sikes for his Portrait of a Man done in pastels. This piece was selected by Dr. Anthony Allen to remain in the University’s art collection. It will be on display on campus permanently.
Select Awards are given to works of art that show great promise. This year the awards went to:
- Ian Sikes – Portrait of a Man, pastels
- Beth Oswald – One Inch at a Time, photography
- Taylor Pashia – Key to my Heart, ink
- Trenda McClaughtry – Cascading Falls, sculpture
- Jenna Weitnauer – Three of a Kind, painting
- Marisol Garth – Abandonment, photography
- Daniel Keen –Love Life, digital imaging
- Tyler Malone – To Hell and Back, water color/acrylic
Other awards given include Merit Awards and Faculty Choice Awards. For more information on the exhibit, award winners or the art department, contact Robin Stone at 573.629.3175 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact InformationCarolyn Carpenter
Director of Public Relations