The culminating requirement of the teacher education program places candidates in an accredited school classroom, in the appropriate certification area and grade range, for a semester-long student teaching experience. The requirements for student teaching, given in the EDU 479 Professional Education Semester course syllabus, outline the expectations for progress in planning, teaching, and assessing. Formal evaluations of student teachers by HLGU supervisors and cooperating teachers about the candidates’ progress, ensure that student teachers are thoroughly and competently assuming their professional roles.
During the student teaching semester, candidates must score successfully on the Missouri Educator Evaluation System (MEES) Teacher Candidate Assessment Rubric. Candidates must also pass the Missouri Content Assessment (MoCA) in their area of certification to meet DESE requirements for Missouri certification.
Important information regarding professionalism and field experience/practical guidelines can be found in the teacher education program handbook.
- Teacher Education Program Handbook
- Apply for Student Teaching
- Student Teaching for Teaching Assistants
- Student Teaching Under Academic Contract
- Student Teaching Forms for Candidates, Cooperating Teachers and University Supervisors
- University Supervisors and Cooperating Teachers are required to view a tutorial, MEES Presentation for Cooperating Teachers and University Supervisors, and to complete MEES Calibration Exercise – Scoring and Feedback Form.