Policy Regarding the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA)
Education Records Exceptions:
The following are records kept by the university that are not considered education records and will not be maintained under the same guidelines as education records.
- A personal record kept by a staff member, if it is kept in the sole possession of the maker of the records and is not accessible or revealed to any other person except a temporary substitute for the maker of the record.
- An employment record of an individual, whose employment is not contingent on the fact that he or she is a student, provided the record is used in relation to the individual’s employment.
- Records maintained by the University Security Unit, if the records are maintained solely for law enforcement agencies of the same jurisdiction, and if the Unit does not have access to education records maintained by the university.
- Medical records maintained by the Student Development Office, if the records are used only in the treatment of a student are made available only to those persons providing the treatment. NOTE: The health clinic operating on the campus of HLGU is not affiliated with the university. Records are maintained by the health clinic.
- Alumni records which contain information about a student after he or she is no longer in attendance at the university.