Applying for Aid

Applying For HLGU Scholarship Programs

Upon applying for admission to Hannibal-LaGrange University, students are automatically considered for HLGU scholarships. See the Academic/Achievement Scholarships section for descriptions of these awards.

Submitting the FAFSA

Students seeking Federal Financial Aid should complete the free application for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA) after October 1 online at HLGU’s federal school code is 009089 and priority submission date is July 1 for fall admission and November 1 for spring admission for traditional students. For Missouri students, the FAFSA must be submitted by February 1 for state grants.

After your FAFSA has been submitted you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) in the mail or by email within a few weeks from the central processor. You will need to review your information for accuracy. If any changes need to be made you can make these. If you list Hannibal-LaGrange University’s Title IV School code (009089), your FAFSA information will be received by our financial aid office. This information allows us to determine your financial aid. All communication regarding financial aid will be made through the student portal. This information will consist of HLGU scholarships, grants, loans, and other financial aid opportunities.

Selected for Verification

Students will be notified through the student portal that they have been selected for verification on their FAFSA. This notification, sent by HLGU’s Financial Aid Office, will direct you to the student portal. On your student portal there will be a list of items needed before any further processing can occur. It is encouraged to submit all paperwork at the same time. Financial aid awards will not be finalized until the HLGU Financial Aid Office has completed the student’s verification.

If you have questions, please call 573-629-3279.

Hannibal-LaGrange University
Financial Aid Office
2800 Palmyra Road
Hannibal, MO 63401

IRS Tax Return Transcript Request Process

Federal income tax filers chosen for verification (students and parents) who elect not to use the IRS Data Retrieval Process or do not qualify to use the IRS Data Retrieval Process must submit an IRS Tax Transcript to the financial aid office. To request a transcript from the IRS, select one of the following methods. Your Federal income tax return must be accepted by the IRS and you must pay your IRS tax liability, if applicable, before you can request a transcript.

Get Transcript Online:

  1. Go to
  2. Click on the “Get Transcript Online” box.
  3. Log in or create an account.
  4. Enter all requested information. Be sure to use the address currently on file with the IRS.
  5. A PDF of the requested document will be presented online for saving or printing.

Get Transcript By Mail:

  1. Go to
  2. Click on the “Get Transcript by Mail” box.
  3. Enter information for all required fields.
  4. Be sure to use the address currently on file with the IRS.
  5. If successful, tax transcripts will be received by the requester within 10 business days.

IRS form 4506-T or 4506-T-EZ:

  1. Go to
  2. Choose “Forms and Instructions”.
  3. Choose 4506-T Form.
  4. Fill out all required fields.
  5. Print form and follow the “General Instructions” section at bottom of the form to submit.

Income Verification Express Service:

  • 1-800-908-9946

*The IRS now redacts sensitive information from the Tax Return Transcripts including but not limited to:

  • Last 4 digits of any SSN listed.
  • First 4 characters of the last name of any individual.
  • First 6 characters of the street address, including spaces.

Due to this change it is imperative that the student/parent communicate with the Financial Aid Office at Hannibal-LaGrange University which student the tax return transcript is being provided for.

** If you are unable to obtain the required Federal Tax Return Transcript(s) by using one of the above methods you will need to contact the IRS at 800-829-1040 or visit your local Internal Revenue Service Office to obtain a copy.

Process for Non-Tax Filers Selected for Verification

Students and parents who are not required to file a Federal income tax return must submit copies of their W-2 forms to confirm income earned from work. If no income was earned, please check the appropriate box on the front of this worksheet.

*Documentation of non-filing is required. You can request that documentation at You will need to provide us with a Verification of Non-filing letter.