Debbie Ziegler retires after 34 years

After celebrating 34 years of service to Hannibal-LaGrange University, Mrs. Debbie Ziegler, Assistant Professor of Mathematics, has retired from full-time teaching. In addition to serving as an instructor for over thirty years, Mrs. Ziegler has also served as the chair of the math department along with previous chairperson of the division of Natural Science and Mathematics. She will be staying on in a part-time capacity in the math department.

Her colleague, Dr. Lanett Jauss states that she has, “never met anyone more dedicated to math and math students than Debbie.”

Mrs. Ziegler received her bachelors in math from Westminster College (PA) and a M.S. in mathematics from Purdue University. She has been teaching at Hannibal-LaGrange University since 1988.

Mrs. Ziegler has regularly maintained personal relationships with her current and past students. Being able to interact with her students, “not only about math and future careers, but about their life and decisions they are making,” is what she enjoys most about her job at HLGU.

“On more than one occasion Mrs. Ziegler refused to let me quit when that’s exactly what I wanted to do. Literally walked away from me and refused to sign my drop slip,” remembers Alayna Martin, 2013 graduate. “Thank you for never giving up on me, or any of us! I remember you making us call someone who was missing from class to get them there, opening your office to us all hours of the day, and being there for me when some of my family had health issues. You made math fun and are the model I use when I’m teaching. I’m so thankful to have someone like you to look up to.”

Outside of the academic world, she is an active member of her church as well as the Gideon Auxiliary, and Girls Scouts. Exemplifying her commitment to the HLGU motto, Knowledge for Service, Mrs. Ziegler says, “I think the main reason I stay active is because it is a way for a Christian to have regular contact with people that’s not through the church. You can touch kids’ lives that you can’t get to come to church, but they’ll go to Girl Scouts.”

Mrs. Ziegler and her husband, David, have three married children and eight perfect grandchildren. During the summer months, the Zieglers are often found camping in the United States or traveling around the world.

Hannibal-LaGrange University is a four-year Christian university fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. The institution prides itself in its traditional and nontraditional educational experience in a distinctively Christian environment.

Share this article on your social media accounts!