Correction Procedure

Policy Regarding the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA)

Correction of Educational Records:

The following are the procedures for the correction of records:

  1. A student must ask the appropriate official of Hannibal-LaGrange University in writing to amend a record. In so doing, the student should identify the part of the record he or she wants changed and specify why he/she believes it is inaccurate, misleading, or in violations of his/her privacy or other rights.
  2. The university may comply with the request or it may decide not to comply. If it decides not to comply, the university will notify the student of the decision and advise him/her of his/her rights to a hearing to challenge the information believed to be inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student’s rights.
  3.  If the student desires to have a hearing, the student’s request for a formal hearing should be in writing.
  4. The hearing will be conducted by a hearing officer who is a disinterested party; however, the hearing officer may be an official of the institution. The student shall be afforded a full and fair opportunity to present evidence relevant to the issues raised in the original request to amend the student’s education records. The student may be assisted by one or more individuals, including an attorney at the student’s expense.
  5. The university will prepare a written decision based solely on the evidence presented at the hearing. The decision will include a summary of the evidence presented and the reasons for the decision.
  6. If Hannibal-LaGrange University decided that the challenged information is not inaccurate,
    misleading, or in violation of the student’s rights of privacy, it will notify the student that he/she has a right to place in the record a statement commenting on the challenged information and/or a statement setting forth reasons for disagreeing with the decision.
  7. The statement will be maintained as part of the student’s education records as long as the contested portion is maintained. If the university discloses the contested portion of the record, it must also disclose the statement.
  8. If the university decides that the information is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student’s right of privacy, it will amend or destroy the record and notify the student, in writing, that the record has been amended.